2012 tazmma Submission of the Year
The MMA scene in Western Canada has been very healthy for a number of years now. We’ve seen both the UFC and WEC visit that part of the country due to the rabid fan base, while the MFC has made Edmonton its home base. All of the higher level MMA found in the area has created a fertile lower tier of regional MMA shows, and those shows have produced some incredible moments over the past couple of years.
Back in 2009, Marcus ‘Lelo’ Aurelio (not to be confused with UFC and Pride vet ‘Maximus’ of the same name) provided one of the most unique knockouts of the year.
This year, another smaller organization out west played host to an amazing submission that got in just under the wire to be considered one of the best in 2012. I have no problem admitting that I have no idea who either Wolfgang Janssen or Aaron Armstrong are. They could be decent prospects or they could be complete bums. What is for sure, however, is that the fashion in which Janssen tapped Armstrong in their December 14th fight is something you’ve likely never seen before. An important part of the submission of the year award is the ingenuity involved in the submission. In the past five years we’ve seen subs like Toby Imada’s Inverted Triangle and Shuichiro Katsumura’s Ninja Choke either win, or get serious consideration for the award. This gem from Wolfgang Janssen is no different. Take a look:
While submissions like TJ Waldburger’s Floating Armbar over Jake Hecht and Chan Sung Jung’s Brabo Choke over Dustin Poirier were performed at a higher level, the video game quality of Janssen’s submission makes it the 2012 Submission of the Year.
About bradtaschukAn MMA enthusiast who also fancies himself a writer, I've been following the sport in depth since moving off to University in the fall of 2004 allowed me more free time than I knew what to do with. Quickly, an obsession with watching as much MMA as possible developed, which has continued to this day in the form of writing and editing articles for various MMA sites, and now to my own blog about my views on the sport.
- Aljamain's dab on point tho 1 day ago
- I feel like only Canadians will understand this, but: The 3D crystal girls creep the hell out of me. 1 day ago
- RT @MMAStateOfMind: @bradtaschuk Financially (in)dependent. AKA In Dependents of Autocorrect must have taken out the () 6 days ago
- Can we appreciate for a minute that this dude's definition of "financially independent" includes having other peopl… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 days ago
- RT @TruUKFan: Didn't get to make it on this week for all of the Hawg talk but you should listen anyways. @TheMMAAnalysis @JayPrimetown @alp… 1 week ago